Granny’s Workshop Dolly
Sunday, October 14, 2012
Saturday, October 13, 2012
How to use mechanical sewing machine
Friday, October 12, 2012
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Fasteners use in Garment construction
Hooked and eye
Snap fasteners take
Hook and loop fasteners take
Lingerie strap guard
Three types of Zipper
Conventional zipper- Close at one end and sewed into dean that is closed to the zipper pocket.
Invisible zipper- Is made so as to disappear and it has one closed end.
Separating zipper- Is open in both end and it sewed into a seam that it will open completely.
Monday, October 8, 2012
Types of Sewing Machine
- These machine uses loaded cam that is pushed and pulled by device to make various kinds of stitches. It can be used for basic sewing task like hem, repairs, simple clothing and crafts. They tend to be the least expensive type of machine. this is not the device or the machine projects but more occasional use.
- these machine can builds the function and features of the mechanical machine without as much work needed by the user. It is use as an electrical impulse to shoot and return a needle into the correct place on the cloth to create patterns. The function of this device is much more accurate than mechanical device. It also can be used for tasks like top stitching depending on the model.
- It is similar with electronic sewing machine but by the use technologies, it gives the machine the ability to accept new information from a disk or memory card. It can be applied to fabric for projects like bedspreads, base and garments. these device have a touch screen that lets you see the design you want to apply.
- These machine are the finishing device that help the fine details of the project. It consist of looper and knives that acts like a pair of scissors. It deals with stretchy, sheer and lingerie fabric.
Sunday, October 7, 2012
Fabric used in Clothing
There are different fabrics used in garment. The most commonly uded are cotton, linen, silk or rayon.
- Cotton fabrics are appropriate to wear in tropial caoutries like the Philippines because they are good conductors of heat. Cotton is versatile and durable but need frequent laundering. When damp it is easy to iron using high temperature.
- Linen is appropriate for shirts handkerchips, table napkins, suumer, underwear, and dresses. Line is popularly called the summer fiber. Linen like cotton needs for laundering.
- Rayon is very similar to silk. Both have low elasticity and resiliency and are quite good conductors of heat rayon and silk are widely used as fabrics for industrial processes.
Guidelines in selecting appropriate fabric for one self.
- Crumple the fabric in your hand and hold it for 30 seconds then release it for about 30 seconds. Observe and see if it twingkles.
- See if the fabric is evenly dyed with pleasing colors. The fabric should be clear and not blurred.
- Check on the quality and cost of the fabric.
- Always determine the quantity needed to avoid wasted of money.
- Your personality and complexion must be considered in fabric selection.
Sewing Tools and Equipments
Common Sewing Machine troubles
1. Unusual clocking noise
2. Needle breaks
3. Uneven stitches
4. Heavy functioning of the machine
5. Balance wheel does not tum
· Dirty machine loose screws accumulated dust in the shuttle race area.
· Wrong needle attachment.
· Needle is bent. Needle is attached on the wrong side.
· Size of the needle does not match the thickness of the fabric.
· Insuficient foot pressure.
· The needle is attached too low.
· Belt too tight.
· The machine needs oiling.
The belt is too lose stop motion screw is loose
· Brush away the dirt loose screws clean the shuttle race with a brush before oiling.
· Attack the needle correctly and fighter the screw.
· Chang the needle correct the position of the needle.
· Math the size of the needle with the fabric.
· Increase pressure on the presser foot by tightening screw.
· Raise the needle higher through the needle clamp tighten the thumb screw.
· Tighten the belt a cord
· Oil the machine.
tighten the belt rotate stop motion screw clockwise to tighten.
Different parts of Sewing Machine and its function
- spool pin- hold the spool of thread.
- presser foot- holds the fabric in place while sewing.
- thread guide- keeps the thread in the correct position.
- uper tension regulator- regulates the tightness and looseness of thread.
- stitch regulator- regulates the length of stitches.
- thread take-up lever- moves the thread up and down.
- needle clamp- holds the needle.
- presser bar litter- lowers and raise the presser foot.
- feed dog- moves the fabric as sewing goes on.
- balance wheel- the wheel on the right side of the head which control the movement of the needle.
- robbin winder- use to wind thread on the robbin.
- belt- connects the balance wheel and the drive wheel.
- drive wheel- the big wheel below the machine that is connected to the treadle.
- treadle- the place for the feet.
- bed- the flat base of the head which rest in cabinet.
- throat plate- the metal plate the covers the feed dog.
- dress guard- it is located where the drive wheel is to protect the dress of the sewer when the machine is moving.
knowledge on the parts and function of sewing machine will help you much in determining the causes of unsatisfactory sewing performance. Like other equipment sewing machine may not function well. if not used or maintained proper care and maintenance should be one of the sews to avoid trouble when sewing.
A sewing machine is an equipment which is very indispensable in any sewing activity, whether it be repairing altering clothes or recycling household article special care are should be given and regular maintenance is needed because it cots it can a lot knowledge of its pats and function will enable you to determine the cause of the trouble when breaks down.
Sewing Tools and Equipment
A complete set of sewing tools and equipment facilities work borrowing tools from classmates is a waste of time whereas complete tools and equipment help you produce and finish your projects on time.
Tools and equipment should be available when needed. A sewing box where tools are kept should be placed near the sewing machine for easy access when needed.
Uses for sewing tools
Sewing tools are classified according to their use among these are the measuring tools, drafting tools, cutting tools and marking tools.
1. Measuring tools
Tape measure- is used in taking body measurements for drafting alternating and laying out patterns on the fabric and in actual sewing.
Ruler- is used in drawing lines and marking fabrics
Seam gauge- is used for measuring and marking short distance such as hems, ticks and seam.
Hem marker- is an accurate guide for measuring and making hotlines. Afoot rule can be used in the absence of an adjustable hem marker.
2. Drafting tools
Tailor square- used to draw perpendicular lines determining square corners and dividing measurement.
Hip curve- is use for shaping the hips and skirts hem line.
French curve- is used to shape neck lines collars and harm holes.
3. Cutting tools
Shears- the best shears to use for cutting fabrics has a vent handle and blade it has small opening in one handle for the thumb and one lager opening in the other handle for two or more fingers.
Scissors- a pair of scissor with sharp and a close blade is convenient to use. This is used to cut pattern pieces threads trimming seams and cutting botton holes.
Sean ripper- it is used to trip improperly machine stitched seams.
4. Marking tools
Tracing wheel- these tools is used with the tailor chalk and dress maker carbon paper to transfer to pattern making to the cloth.
Tailor chalk- this is to make a clean direct making on the fabric for accuracy the marking.
Dressmaker- carbon paper this is used to transfer construction marks from the pattern to the fabric with the help of tracing wheel.